Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Why Health Insurance needs it's own Progressive Flo

According to the NAHU (National Association of Health Underwriters), mandated benefits on health insurance policies can raise premium costs up to 25%. That means that I should only be paying $150 every two weeks for my insurance, instead of $200, because I’m required to pay for the cost of them requiring prostate exams on my insurance policy even though neither me or my daughters have a prostate, and my husband is 29.
Mandated benefits are laws that require insurance companies to cover certain services, which in this day and age are fast becoming every service. There are states that mandate care for morbid obesity and port wine stain removal….under insurance. Port wine stain (a birthmark) removal and acupuncture are required to be covered by insurance in some states. For the complete state mandates listing, as of 2004, check it out, here. I don’t have the federal lists as of this moment. I think that mandated benefit laws are a drain on the system, and should be abolished.
I have two separate insurance policies other than my health insurance and that is my homeowners and car insurance. With homeowners insurance, a la carte is less the case, but still pertinent. I have a value assessed based on information I have given the insurance company. This means I’m not going to pay for a large custom kitchen or bathroom, because I have neither. I do not live in a flood zone, and therefore do not possess flood insurance. It is required for me to purchase if I did live in a flood zone, but that is the insurance company protecting their investment. I am able to purchase flood insurance if I live outside a flood zone, but it is my choice to do so.
My car insurance is a much better example of a la carte services. My vehicle is financed, so I am required by the insurance company to maintain collision/comprehensive insurance on my car. Aside from that, I’m not required anything else. I choose to have towing, rental car, and additional benefits above state minimum coverage required. I could hit an Escalade, that then hits a BMW, and I wouldn’t owe a dime (except in increased insurance premiums), but again, that is my choice.
What I propose we do is offer a la carte medical insurance. Like those Progressive commercials. A single man shouldn’t have to pay for a plan that includes mammograms and pelvic exams, just as a single woman shouldn’t have to pay for a plan that includes care for erectile dysfunction.
If you had to pay full price for every single doctor’s appointment you will truly only go to the doctor when you need to. Here is what happens then…..demand decreases. When demand decreases, prices fall to counter it. When prices for doctor’s visits fall, more people will go, but prices will only go up so much. The market will find the balance of price it can bear, unencumbered by government regulation.
Offer things like emergency care, hospital visits, children milestone visits/immunizations, women’s health packages, labs/diagnostic, etc. There are so many ways that this could be broken down, but the best part is, no one is going to make you pay for something that you don’t need.
I would even support insurance companies offering benefit packages for specific diseases, cancer, AIDS, hepatitis…or for certain age groups, the over 50 plans, which includes coverage for colonoscopies and mammograms…..whatever.
The fact remains that I should not have to pay for someone else to see the doctor every single time their nose runs. I don’t have to pay for other drivers on the road to get oil changes, and health insurance shouldn’t cover simple preventative care.

No comments:

Post a Comment