Sunday, October 9, 2011

It's been a long time coming

I haven't written in forever. I was just talking to someone tonight about how I needed to get back into this again. I'm not going to go crazy on politics, though I may touch on it a bit, since it is my favorite thing to talk about.

I got the job I wanted, in the place I wanted, and the kids and I are settling in nicely. Some good things have happened, some drama has ensued, some more drama is about to ensue....the usual. I'm in North Carolina. I got the house, with a backyard, so the kids are satisfied. I'm currently sitting outside, on my back porch, enjoying North Carolina "fall" weather.

The new job. Love it. Love the work, the boss....most of the people there, all in all, it's a good thing. I'm getting to learn what this new career is all about, instead of just floating through it like I was doing at my last placeholder job. Emily is settling into school. It was something of a bumpy ride at first, but we're getting there. Bailey is doing very well as well. She's talking, happy (most of the time) and seems to really like it here as well.

I've gotten into contact with a lot of old friends. Some I should have, and some I shouldn't have. It'll all shake out as to which one is which....some sooner than others. I've rekindled and ended more friendships in the two months I've been here than I think the whole of my life....but I find that as I get older, there is less I will tolerate with regard to what is and is not acceptable within the boundaries of a friendship. I'm less forgiving than I was in the past.

I've compiled a mental list of things I have learned as I've gotten older:

1.)You can never be friends with someone too long to have no worry that they will stab you in the back.

2.) Men and women cannot be friends. Not ever. Not for extended periods of time. This one is particularly unfortunate, given that I have a lot of male friends from my Army days.

3.) It's easier for women with kids to find common ground and be friends.

4.) Women who don't want children have something wrong with them that is deep-seated and you can't fix it. It's why we are here, if not for that, what's the point of even being?

5.) If you know what someone looks like naked, you can't be their platonic friend again. Ever.

6.) I am a lot meaner than I give myself credit for. And apparently a lot more intimidating too.

7.) I am still a stupid girl. And I still have stupid girl feelings.

8.) When something is over, it is over forever.....you can't take back the past, and you can't change it to suit your needs.

That's what I have for now. I will add to this list (and subtract in the unlikely event that I prove myself wrong.

The kids are getting ready to start out of home daycare, as my brother is leaving this week to go back to Philly. I'm both happy and sad about that. I'll miss him, but it will be nice to have my house back to myself.

I like being alone. I don't need someone to complete me. I am a grownup, and fully happy and capable by myself. Though it would be nice to have someone to take out the trash and squash bugs for me.

I cannot stand the hippies protesting Wall Street. It's stupid, childish and infantile. Not to mention hypocritical and ironic that these kids are protesting corporate greed, while mourning Steve Jobs and wearing brand name clothing. Not to mention living off their parents, or the government. I don't understand how people have this idea that they must have things handed to them...without putting the work in to earn anything. Get a job hippie!!!!

That's all for now. More to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment